Retreatants may register at the meditation center on the 10th of the month between 8:30am to 11am, and 1pm to 5pm, and on the 11th from 8:30 to 11am at the latest. There will be no registration after 11am on the 11th. Places are allocated on arrival, so come early.
On this day you have the opportunity to register, settle in to the dorm accommodation, look around the monastery, and familiarize yourself with the facilities. You can also go into town to finalize purchases and travel bookings. There is no opportunity to do these activities after 1pm on the 11th, or at any time during the retreat.
The 10th and 11th: The registration process
Registration has to be in person. Advanced booking is not possible.
There is no facility for postal, telephone, email or website registration for retreat.
We strictly adhere to the “first come, first serve” principle. To be sure of a place on the retreat we advise you to arrive on the 10th of the month between 8:30 and 11am. Places are allocated on arrival and everyone has the same opportunity. We have a maximum of 60 people.
Bring to registration
- Your passport, and a copy of your passport page.
Preparing for the retreat
It is important to clear all commitments for the period of the retreat. All phone calls, e-mail, letters, tickets, flight confirmations, money-changing, visa extensions, etc. must be arranged and organised before the silent retreat, which begins on the 11th at 1pm.
- A meditation retreat can be both mentally and physically very challenging.
- All participants must be in good general health, both physically and mentally.
- The retreat is not suitable for people with mental disorders or drug addictions.
- It is recommended to be well-rested before the start of the retreat.
What to bring:
- Loose clothing which fully covers the body, such as fisherman pants and t-shirts. Clothing must follow our dress code. Keep in mind that the weather here is normally hot, and often humid, so lighweight clothing works better.
- A light jacket or sweater may be wanted in evenings.
- Flip-flops or slippers [more]
- Personal toiletries (sanitary napkins or tampons, shaving gear, toothpaste and brush, etc.)
- Torch - check the batteries!
- Washing powder etc.
- Mosquito repellent
What not to bring:
Phones, laptops, and any other electronic devices, books, reading materials, any other distractions, are not allowed during the retreat. If you bring any of these, you must deposit them with the retreat staff for the duration of the retreat.
Clothes and bedding
It is not necessary to dress in white during the retreat.
Clothes are hand washed during the breaks. Please bring washing powder.
Fresh bedding and a mosquito net are provided by the centre.
The 11th: Orientation day
People should finish registration, personal tasks, every activity before 1pm. At 1pm the show starts! You will store your valuables with staff, have a tour of the boundaries of Kow Tham, and an orientation talk. So be ready in the Temple at the latest 1pm.
12th through 18th: Retreat schedule
Please go here to see the daily schedule of the retreat.
rev. 18 oct 2017